Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Welcome To Big Shot Ron's!

Be Sure to check me out at http://www.societyandsports.com . I co-host the Section 357, a weekly sports podcast with my good friends and fellow sports fanatics, Master Dee and J Navaho

Who am I? Long -Time Basketball fan, very amateur blogger so be patient. Just another hoop fanatic who has to get his "two cents" in.  Growing up in both Central Illinois and Chicagoland, my favorite team was of course the Chicago Bulls. There was no more enjoyable year of sports in my life than following the 1990-91 Chicago Bulls when MJ finally got over the Pistons and won the first one. Of course , five more titles followed each unique onto themselves but there is nothing like the first time.

How did my hoops obsession begin? I would have to say it began as early as five years old. I remember watching MJ hit the shot over G-Town to win the NCAA title. I also remember the bitter disappointment on my Pops face when G-Town lost to 'Nova in 1985. Like many kids, my father was my introduction to sports and basketball was our thing. I would go over his place on Friday night, we ordered a large pizza from Domino's , flip on TBS for their Friday Night Doubleheader. The vocal stylings of a Pete Van Wieren and Rick Barry accompanied some combination of Celtics/Hawks/76ers/Bulls. Then Pops  had to flip over to Miami Vice and then back to TBS for the second half, usually some combo of Jazz/Lakers/Sun/Sonics. This was my introduction to hoops.


I had the Nerf hoop over the basement door which led to many stoppages in play when Mom had to go get laundry. I begged and pleaded Mom to renew my SI subscription three times to get all three NBA SUPERSTARS videos. I remember being one of the few kids who on nice spring days could sit down and watch playoff games (Yes, playoff games used to come on primarily during the day on *gasp* Regular TV).


When did I know I was offcially a fan? Basketball was the first sporting event to make me cry.  1990 Eastern Confernce Finals Game 7 aka "The Migraine". My beloved Bulls had their first real shot at a title and after trouncing the Pistons in Game 6 at the Stadium (Yes, i am dating myself again lol). I just knew this was our year. Unfortunately, someone hit Scottie Pippen in the head with a hammer during the layup line and it went downhill from there. As it became more apparent that Detroit had done it to us again, i felt water in my eyes. I did suffer from allergies so i just wiped eyes and get watching. With each Bulls miss, more water and then sniffling. Hold up, "Am I crying?".  Yes, I was in sob mode and couldn't figure out why. Looking back on it, i know what it was. Its called being a fan. You are as attached to your team like your first love and when "she" breaks your heart, you feel it deep. That was my first introduction into being a fan.

By no means, am i trying to replace Ric Bucher or Chris Broussard and definitely not into "talking greasy about teams and players. This spot is meant to be a place to share my love of my favorite game regardless of  fandom. As this blog evolves, I hope that love across in blogs, videos, picture and whatever else i can figure out how to get on here without completely killing this ol' desktop (yeah im old school). As they say in the South, "Yall come back now, here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment